Keeping a gratitude journal is a solid way to grow, especially after a significant spiritual experience such as a retreat or service immersion trip. Cultivating a grateful heart helps us to see how blessed and loved we are. It also enables us grow in awareness and in trust.
- Find yourself a small journal.
- Begin journaling 3 times a week using the suggested steps below or click here for the handout.
- When you have built momentum, increase the number of times each week.
Suggested steps to journaling:
- Using stream of consciousness writing for 3 minutes, I let my pen & spirit guide me without worrying about forming complete thoughts or sentences: “Today, I feel alive/peace/energized/hopeful/grateful when …”
- Read what you wrote & underline any words or phrases that draw your attention.
- Choose a word, phrase, pattern, or two among those you underlined & recall the experience and what it meant to you. How does it affect your day (with yourself, with others, with God)?