As you prepare for the trip, we invite you to imagine this weekend as an opportunity to live more simply and in greater solidarity with the poor – God’s first love. In keeping with this spirit, and also for safety reasons, we ask that you leave valuables including (iPods, tablets, computers, phones, and purses) in the United States. The simple packing list below is a way to be in solidarity with the people and community we are visiting. It also conserves space in our vehicles for supplies.
Please take some time sit with Matthew 25: 34-40 and reflect on these questions:
1. What sparked your desire to come on Casa Building?
2. In what ways have you been blessed by God? How can these gifts be of use as we serve our brothers and sisters in Christ?
If you wish to bring donate items for the orphanage or the community to which we will visit, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What do I pack for this trip?
- Work clothes that can get very dirty (long pants and shirts with some kind of sleeve). The communities we will visit have a cultural expectation of modesty. Please wear work clothes, not beach clothes.
- Shoes that will both support your feet and be able to get dirty
- Jacket or sweatshirt
- Work gloves (optional)
- A change of clothes for Saturday evening and Sunday morning
- Sleeping bag and pillow and a camping mat if you prefer
- Toiletries (note you will not be able to shower on Saturday)
- REUSABLE WATER BOTTLE
- Camera (optional)
- A VALID PASSPORT
Thank you for your act of simplicity and solidarity!